I am the mother of my paintings...


Each painting is like a new baby to me, I have emotional attachment to each of my work and find it hard when I sell a piece.  It sounds silly I know, because the reason why my work are for sale is so that I can sell them but when they do, I do feel a sense of loss.  Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that my work sells and goes to a new home where they will appreciate something I've created but at the same time I feel like there's a void that I need to fill once a painting is sold.  I immediately start painting another one to replace the one that is sold and form an emotional bond with the new painting and the process starts once again.  I often wondered if other artists are like me, whether they also have an emotional bond to their work.  It is understandable why artists would feel this way, after all we are creative people and we are ruled by our emotions.  I enjoy painting when I'm sad, there's something in dark mood and creativity isn't there?  That's not to say that I don't enjoy painting when I'm happy but certainly my dark, unhappy days brought many of my lovely paintings.

Kumi Rajagopal
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AffordableArtumi

Comments

Popular Posts